Today I was HOLY HUMBLED!
By what you ask? Deficit hand stand push ups, and it was NOT pretty. Not the hand stand pushups or my near melt down response to them.
Just yesterday I crushed a heavy bench press AND weighted strict handstand pushups, and today, hspu in the sod (which should have been my jam) all of a sudden were next to impossible.
I warmed up and they felt awesome and I was ready to go! 3…2….1…. GO! 5 snatches, into 5 6″ deficit HSPU- no problem….round 2…. a little harder….. round 3…. complete implosion. Fail….. fail…. fail….WTF!
In that moment a million things ran through my head;
- I’m such a terrible CrossFitter
- Why do I even bother I’m crappy
- I’m packing it in, this is is a waste
- and on….. and on….. and on……
It felt like an hour but it was literally 10seconds if that and then I began thinking;
- What would you tell a member right now
- Why do I care so much about RX’ing
- I may not be able to crush it today, but every rep I’m improving
- Focus on improving my intensity vs my volume
And suddenly the whole workout turned around. Yes I was frustrated and humbled, but I was refocused.
Training isn’t about being successful everyday…. it’s about showing up day after day, riding the highs and lows and coming out on top over the long haul.